Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Revolutions are Blurry

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2011/02/20112112719651683.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/02/world/middleeast/02egypt.html?hp

The first link is to Al Jazeera which thus far has had the best live coverage of the revolts in Cairo. Many of the videos are amateur, shot from cell phones and rife with shaky shots and tarmac, but they are successful at illustrating the story of a people taking on their government. However, even with technological advances, the facts of the revolution are still rather unclear to me. Egypt wants a new, democratic government, they do not want Mubarak who was allied with Israel and the US. Obama wants Mubarak to transition. Israel is a little worried. AL Jazeera likes flashy headlines.
The question I am really left with is - what do I think? I believe I should support the will of the public, fighting against an autocratic government. And yet, I am concerned by the possible changes in relationship to Israel and US. In their quest for democracy , could Egypt deny itself a relationship with two of the most democratic countries?

No comments:

Post a Comment