Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Agenda

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/15/us/politics/15obama.html?ref=todayspaper

- I am just noticing the agenda of the NY Times today. Yesterday in class we talked about the differences in the reporting on Obama's budget, and here again, the budget seems to be at the forefront of the Time's mind...and its coming to the forefront of my own. Should we fight the agenda? I would like to assume that the media reports the issues of importance, but I know reporting is much more political than that, and additionally, what is at the top of one person's agenda, might be at the bottom of someone else's.
Do we let the media decide what's important?
If not, how can we tell which issues are truly urgent and which are not?

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The budget is very important though, and since we find ourselves in the midst of a terrible economic crisis, the fact that we spend more than we generate, and that we owe money to other countries, does represent a weakness in the American economy. Not that it is THE most important issue today, it is still one of the top five in my opinion.

    That being said, after reading the article you posted, it seems that Obama cannot reduced the budget because Republicans representatives keep on disagreeing with Mr. President: “Republicans, of course, disagree.” That being said, the Obama administration was free to do as they wished for two full years by having a majority in Congress… so Republican’s interference doesn’t cut it and doesn’t make sense; or at least, it is unconvincing. This article seems biased to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't disagree with you that it is an important issue. I was referencing a point brought up in class. I admire though the considerations you take to decide that this issue is important. I think that is the kind of attitude the public needs to have, otherwise we are letting other people decide whats crucial for us. A few days ago, the front page of the Times ran an article about soldiers in Iraq using cell phone and internet connections too often. This story shared the same page that introduced more articles about the budget cuts, and the situation in the Middle East. While it certainly was interesting, I would say it was an example of "soft news" and I wouldn't want to make the mistake as a reader, and think that this story is crucial for me to know about and consider.

    ReplyDelete